[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] What does "Rum" or "Rumunki" mean?

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sat Dec 21 20:57:15 PST 2013

On Dec 21, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Krampetz at aol.com wrote:

> While examining the detailed map of Lipno and area, at mapywig.org,  I  find
> many village names preceded with "Rum" or "Rumunki".
> Google translates Rumunki as "Romanians".
> I did find that this question was asked on this list in 2005 and 'guessed'
> at,
> but no definitive answer.
>
> Bob Krampetz
>    Researching Krampic & Krampitz surnams (mainly  around Lipno).

Be mindful that the designation Rumunki or Romanian is one of nationality.
It does not qualify ethnicity. The Romanians settling were undoubtedly of German ethnicity.
A little cut & paste from Wiki:
The settlement of Romania began during the Ostsiedlung
	• Transylvanian Saxons - the largest and oldest, often simply equated with the Germans of Romania
	• Satu Mare Swabians and most Banat Swabians, groups of Danube Swabians in Romania
	• Transylvanian Landler Protestants
	• Zipser Germans in Maramureş (Borşa, Vişeu)
	• Regat Germans, including the Dobrujan Germans
	• Bukovina Germans (Târgu Neamț, Gura Humorului and Câmpulung Moldovenesc)
	• Bessarabia Germans (for the period 1918–1940)
See Democratic Forum of Germans in Romania for their official representation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germans_of_Romania

Romania was ruled by the Hohenzollern dynasty for awhile as was East Frisia, East Prussia, West Prussia, South Prussia and New East Prussia-etc. (known as Prussians since 1701 )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transylvanian_Saxons
Here again we find the presence of the Teutonic Order of Knights.
(with enticements germans were being moved around)

. . .   Otto
         " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 01, 2013-