[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] What does "Rum" or "Rumunki" mean?

Jerry Frank franklyspeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 21 21:11:03 PST 2013

In my previous posting I jumped in too quickly regarding this term and I was WRONG.  Upon further investigation, I found this explanation from Polish historian Fred Hoffman.  It was posted previously on our mailing list by Jan Textor.

"I was pretty sure I remembered the definition, but just to check, I looked in the 15-volume _Slownik geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego_ [Geographical Dictionary of the Kingdom of Poland]. It defines RUMUNEK, plural form RUMUNKI, as coming from German _räumen_, "to clear, empty" -- although I'd say it's more accurate to characterize it as a Polonized form of a German noun derived from that verb, which in modern German takes the form _Räumung_, "clearing." Either way, it refers to a settlement founded on woodlands that have been cleared of trees. The _Slownik_ says this name undoubtedly came into use from German colonists or by Polish peasants under German influence in Great Poland (western Poland, generally in the area around Poznan). It says we see this name mainly in that area, and also in
some western counties of the Kingdom of Poland (the Russian partition), namely, Gostynin, Lipno, and Rypin counties.

So the name means "clearing" or "clearings," and is one of many different terms used for settlements established in cleared woodlands."

Jerry