[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Happy Families

Richard Benert benovich at live.com
Mon Feb 18 06:21:36 PST 2013

In yesterday’s Sunday supplement, “Parade,” was an article on the ingredients for creating happy families.  First on the list:

“When a team of psychologists measured children’s resilience, they found that the kids who ______ were best able to handle stress.
(a) Ate the same breakfast every day
(b) Knew the most about their family’s history
(c) Played team sports
(d) Attended regular religious services

Answer: (b). The more children know about their family’s history, the stronger their sense of control over their lives and the higher their self-esteem.  The reason:  These children have a strong sense of “intergenerational self”—they understand that they belong to something bigger than themselves, and that families naturally experience both highs and lows.”

Perhaps most surprising is that (b) came in ahead of (d)!  Here’s a good addition to our vocabulary:  “intergenerational self.”

This article was based on a book by William Morrow, “The Secrets of Happy Families”, just published.  In it, I assume one can find a reference to this study and the team of psychologists who did it.

I’d assume that the principle applies to adults, too?

Dick Benert