[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Küster

Richard Benert benovich at live.com
Sun Feb 24 09:26:36 PST 2013

Many thanks for these answers to my Küster question.  It appears that in
general they were more than mere sextons, and more than mere sacristans.  I
would guess that in Catholic villages they might fill more the role of the
sacristan than in Lutheran churches, and for sure in Baptist churches where
sacred objects and garments were scarce (if Baptists had them at all).  I'm
doing a bit of translating (which triggered my question), and I'm wondering
if it would be better to just leave it as "Küster", maybe followed by a
parenthetical note.  I'll listen to any suggestion.

Dick B.