[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Fwd: Re: Searching for Sylwa/Cilwa/Silva in Podlasie

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Wed Jan 30 00:20:43 PST 2013

Hello Carolyn,
my message has been stopped by the server mx.interia.pl :
> This is a info message only. Your message remains in the server queue, the server will try to send it again. You should not try to resend your message now. You should not report the info message to unitymedia. If the mail server give up to send your message, you will get a non delivery report. If you don't get a non delivery report, the message was send successfully to the recipient.
Would you please foreward it to Marcin (I presume that your messages are not thrown into his SPAM trash bin).

Günther

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Searching for Sylwa/Cilwa/Silva in Podlasie
Datum: 	Tue, 29 Jan 2013 23:53:38 +0100
Von: 	Günther Böhm <GHBoehm at ish.de>
An: 	szukany at interia.pl

Am 29.01.2013 04:33, schrieb Carolyn Schott:
> Hello,
>
> Very long time I try to find information about my ancestors. And here I turn to You for help. So:
>
> At the beginning of the nineteenth century (1810-1820) my ancestors settled in the Podlasie in two places. In one village they were protestant-german version of the name-"Cilwa", in the second place were catholics and polish version of the name-"Cylwa" (question why two confessions?) (it was the action of colonization by Frederick II?).
>
> I do not have any knowledge of the cities of residence before - only the message from earlier generations.
> probably earlier in the eighteenth century lived in Pomerania and even earlier in Germany.Before migrated to Germany from Spain( and name Silva)
> (Today, one family lives in Ukraine. As can  see "walking tour" agrees with the description given by You.)
>
> Where do I direct my search? Can I find out more? To where should I write?
> With regards.
> Marcin

Hello Marcin,
I don't believe in a Spanish background of the Polish CYLWA families. As www.moikrewni.pl and www.herby.com.pl show, all
of the existing 47 telephone entries are in the suwalskie powiat and its close neighborhood. As you probably know, the
region changed its affiliation several times: Prussian cince 1795, 1807 Księstwo Warszawskie, since 1815 together with
the whole Królestwo Polskie (kongresowe) to the Russian Empire, 1918 to the Polish Republic, 1939 to 1944 to East
Prussia, since 1945 again a part of Poland. Apparently the few years from 1797 to 1807 were decisive for the two name
spellings: Whereas the southern part of the district stayed (and spelled) Polish, its northern part fell to the
protestant Prussia where the name was spelled in the German way.

Hoping to be somehow helpful,
Günther (Böhm)