[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Marriage Record Question

Christopher Menke chrismenke at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 21 11:56:49 PDT 2013

I knew from Odessa3 and seeing the films that my g-grandfather had 2 siblings that stayed in Volhynia. However, until I got this new information yesterday I knew nothing about them except birth dates and places. This posting concerns Maria Menke, born 5/30/1881 to Christoph Menke and Emilie Brandt in Mariendorf.

The new, and very surprising, information I have says that Marie married Friedrich (Fred) Wilwandt and had 2 children, 1 boy and 1 girl. I had no idea!!! It says they "stayed there" (Volhynia).

If she was born in 1881 I would assume married ~ 1905 or so. The Wilwandt's also lived in Alexandria. Has anyone seen this marriage record, or know what became of them (were they there after 1915 ???), or where they went? Apparently this was the last family info ever recorded on them by the family in Neche, North Dakota.

as a side note: I do know this much, which was provided to me by Ray Wilwand, a former SGGEE member, before we knew of any family relation in 2006. ""Fredrick" was born 1879 in Alexandria, wife's name unknown (that would be Maria Menke apparently). Three children were born during their marriage; Olga, Nicholas, and Karl. The family lived in a house near Alexandriya for several years. The house was occupied by the Hermann Willwand family until they moved to North Dakota in 1910. Frederick served in the Russian Army and was kille during World War I."

So that is part of the answer - I wonder what became of her and their kids...

Thanks,

   Chris Menke