[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] [Ger-Poland-VoSigrid, Don,

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Mon Jul 29 09:49:41 PDT 2013

Feedback from family on-line for a correction. Thank you Helmut, Otti and Mom for keeping me on my toes!  (Next time I'll check with those who were THERE!)

Lastenausgleich was actually based on the assets reported to and listed with the Commission in the fall of 1939 in Wolhynia before families were relocated to Warthegau and elsewhere.  The Commission would record all the families holdings - land, equipment, animals, household goods etc..  So when an assessment was made it was not based on the family's "need" - but on the assets actually reported. This also applied to other owners of property, businesses or factories - not just farm families.

As sigrid pointed out, applications had to be made to the government to obtain this settlement - whether they lived in West Germany or abroad. However, those living in the then East Germany were not able to do so until after the Wall came down in 1989 (if the owners themselves were deceased, next of kin were able to apply).

Hopefully I got this right!

There may have been an article in either an early Journal or Wandering Wolhynian issue on this subject....

Helen

The wise man must remember that while he is a descendant of the past, he is a parent of the future.
--Herbert Spencer