[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Leczycki by any other name

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Sat Jun 1 11:29:01 PDT 2013

Hello List,

I decided to share the SGGEE resource most of us probably forget to
consult: a Substantiated Alternate Surname List compiled from various
sources and SGGEE indexers and members:
https://www.sggee.org/research/AlternateSurnamesDatabaseSubstantiated.pdf

As an indexer for the Lublin Project, I get used to a number of common
variations in our German population in Russian Poland, but I was puzzled
when I saw the following names together in the MPD: Lisicki or
Lisickowski or Fuchs or Voss or Fass or Fox. I was familiar with
Leczycki, Lisicki, Lysiak, and perhaps even Lisak as related names. A
couple of records even clearly linked Lysiak and Leczycki/Leszynski with
a "vel" in indexing I was doing. But it wasn't until I spent a little
time with Google translator until I saw how this collection of surnames
is related. Here are some results to remember as an example (NOT that
the names are always interchanged, just something to keep in mind when
looking through online indexes of records):

English: fox, vixen
German: Fuchs, Fuechsin
Low German: Voss
Polish: lis, lisica
Russian: lisa, samka lisitsy (phonetic)
Ukrainian: lysytsya (phonetic)

Check the surname list for some variations which might prove helpful in
your research and include them when examining our own Pedigree Database
or other indexes. You might find those records you've been missing!

Sigrid Pohl Perry
who does remember to search
Domres/Domroes/Domrose/Domreis/Domries/Dombrys et al