[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Attitudes to German people in Canada

Jan Hemmings janhemmings at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 13 20:13:14 PDT 2013

Berlin to Kitchener name change
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The referendum ballot for the name change from Berlin
Through the latter half of the 19th century and into the first decade of the
20th, the City of Berlin, Ontario, Canada, was a bustling industrial centre
celebrating its German heritage (see Kitchener, Ontario). However, when
World War I started, that heritage became the focus of considerable enmity
from non-German residents within the city and throughout Waterloo County.
The fact that most of the original settlers of Berlin were not directly
German but were Mennonites from Pennsylvania did not help, as their refusal
to join the war effort (because of their pacifism) only increased tensions.
The slow pace of recruitment for the local 118 Battalion led to suspicions
of disloyalty. A bust of Kaiser Wilhelm I of Germany, set up in Victoria
Park long before the war, was thrown into Victoria Lake (the main lake in
the park), and then vanished forever, possibly melted down to produce guns.
In 1916, a movement began to change the name of the city. It did not have
the support of the wider community. A contest was held to choose a new name
and the results were ridiculed. When news hit that Britain's Minister of
War, Lord Kitchener, was killed in action off the Orkney Islands, his name
was put forward as a possible replacement, and the whole matter was put up
to referendum.
The referendum itself did not give Berlin residents the option of
maintaining the status quo, and anybody who spoke up against this process
was viewed with suspicion. According to an article from the National
Archives of Canada,[1] "Those citizens who supported the status quo were
immediately perceived, by those who wanted change, as being unpatriotic and
sympathizers with the enemy. Violence, riots and intimidation, often
instigated by imperialistic members of the 118th Battalion, were not
uncommon in the months leading up to the May 1916 referendum on the issue."
Unable to oppose the change, the community stayed home. Only 892 people
bothered to vote (Berlin's population at the time was over 15,000) and of
those, just 346 were enough to change the name of the city to that of
Kitchener. Following the referendum, a petition of 2,000 names was sent to
the Legislative Assembly of Ontario to try to stop the process, but they
were turned down.
The name change of the City of Berlin to the City of Kitchener was mirrored
by similar anti-German name changes in Canada and the United States, from
liberty steaks to liberty cabbage, and was echoed by the anti-French
sentiment in the United States early in 2003, with "freedom fries".
Kitchener is one of the few names that stuck during that period of
anti-German sentiment, however. When the city was building its new city hall
early in the 1990s, there was a small movement to change the city's name
back to Berlin, but most felt that too much history had passed, and that it
was time to move on.
A similar trend existed in Australia, where dozens of "German sounding"
towns had their names changed. The town of Genevra, California, whose
original name was Berlin, got its present name under the same circumstances;
however, at other locations in the US, more than twenty towns called "
Berlin" or " New Berlin" retained their names through both World Wars.
Contents  [hide]
1 See also
2 References
3 Bibliography
4 Further reading

Jan Hemmings                          Email:     janhemmings at earthlink.net
4700 Lock Ridge Court                 Voice:     770/590-1560
Kennesaw, GA 30152                    Fax:       586/314-4044