[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Records for Zhitomir parish 1885 (and Suwalki)

Jerry Frank franklyspeaking at shaw.ca
Sat May 4 07:43:02 PDT 2013

Linda,

1.  There are additional scattered records in Zhitomir Archives.  SGGEE is working with a local researcher on extracting the data but it is a long process with records being in Cyrillic and trying to get them accurately compiled.  It will be some time before SGGEE can make them available.  The only other way is to hire a researcher in Zhitomir to have a personal search done.  There would be no guarantee of success.

2.  Most certainly there was a significant migration of Mazovian Germans from the Suwalki region to the area around Gross and Klein Glusche in northwestern Volhynia.   As you may know from your Koss research in that area, it was remotely located from the main Lutheran parishes so available data is inconsistent.  It is possible that they settled elsewhere first but most came directly.

Jerry