[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Theft of maps of Eastern Europe from Penn State U. map library

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Mon May 6 07:19:04 PDT 2013

Am passing along this email string.....
Obviously a desperate - and cheap! - researcher. All the maps are of areas in which we have an interest.   So beware if you see an offer on line .....

Helen

---------------------
Dear Colleagues,
The following incident was reported last week at the
Pennsylvania State University.  Police
are investigating but we want to inform the maps library community as soon as
possible so that others may check their collections.  If other libraries determine they have also
suffered losses, officials at Penn State would appreciate knowing of it.  In the absence of our maps librarian, Helen
Sheehy, head of the Social Sciences Library, is taking the lead on this.  Please contact me or Helen directly if you
require more details (Helen's contact information is at the end of this
message).
Linda Musser
Head, Fletcher L. Byrom Earth & Mineral Sciences
Library Pennsylvania State University
814-863-7073
lrm4 at psu.edu<mailto:lrm4 at psu.edu>
---------
I am sad to report that the Pennsylvania State
University’s Donald W.

Hamer Maps Library suffered a major theft during March
2013.While we are still assessing the full extent of the theft we have
identified eight

(8) large-scale map sets that were hit.All are pre-WWII
or WWII-era topographic maps of Eastern European countries.The details are
listed below.Please be alert to researchers from outside your institutions
showing interest in maps from this geographic area and era.If you have any
questions or concerns or if you have any information to share, please contact
me at: hsheehy at psu.edu<mailto:hsheehy at psu.edu>  <mailto: hsheehy at psu.edu<mailto:mailto:%20hsheehy at psu.edu>>
or 814-863-1347.

Helen Sheehy

Head, Social Sciences and Maps Libraries Pennsylvania
State University

*[Poland 1:25,000]* Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny
(Poland) Instytut, 1931-1939.

Our call number: G6520s25.P6

*Austria 1:75,000 [cartographic material]* Great Britain.
War Office. General Staff. Geographical Section.
512 Fd. Survey Coy., R.E., [1911- ]

Our call number: G6490 s75.G4

*[Czechoslovakia 1:75,000] * Vojenský zeměpisný ústav
(Prague, Czech Republic) Vojensky zemepisny ustav Praze, 1918-1935.

Our call number:G6510 s75.v6

*Russland 1:50,000 * Germany. Heer. Generalstab.  OKH Gen St d H,  194-?-

our call number:G7010s50.G4

*Osterreichische Karte 1:25,000*  Austria. Militär-Geographisches Institut.
Militärgeographisches Institute, 1919-

Our call number: G6490 s25.A82

*Deutsch-Jugoslawische Grenze 1:25,000. [cartographic
material] * Germany. Heer. Generalstab.
Hauptvermessungsabteilung XIV, [1941]-

Our call number: G6080 s25.G4

*Osterreichische Karte 1:25,000. [cartographic material]
* Austria. Bundesamt für Eich- und Vermessungswesen.
Bundesamt für Eich- und Vermessungswesen,  [19--?]-

Our call Number: G6490 s25.A8

*Generalgouvernement 1:25000 (4-cm-karte) :
Sonderausgabe! X. 1940 : nur für den Dienstgebrauch!* D. Mil.-Kart. Inst.,
1940-1944.

Our call number: G6520 s25.G41

Helen M. Sheehy
Head, Social Sciences Library