[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Children Without Fathers

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Wed May 15 18:42:07 PDT 2013

I am one of the indexers for the Lublin Project, so I have seen many
marriage records. The long Napoleonic records, and even the compilation
tables, will indicate if the mother is unmarried and the father
"unknown." If the father died before the child was born, or if he was
absent due to work far from home or for military service, that is stated
in the record, and witnesses testify that he was the father of the
child. However, witnesses will also testify that the husband could not
be the father because the absence or death was too long for gestation.
Some of these young mothers marry, perhaps with the child's father,
though of course we can't know that for certain. I noticed banns for one
young woman published almost simultaneously in the Lublin church and the
Chelm church (the parents were the same, so it was not just a case of
the same name); a few weeks later a child was born and baptized--so we
knew which marriage ceremony had been performed! The parents must have
been trying desperately to negotiate a marriage before the birth.

Some of us volunteers on the Lublin Team have consulted on records that
puzzle us, precisely because a woman gives birth to several children
over the years without benefit of marriage. Another explanation besides
prostitution could be that she was a common law wife to someone not
Evangelical Lutheran. I've seen several birth/baptism records for a
mother who was married; in some records her husband is named as the
father, in others the child is given her surname; the husband lives in
another village. But when these children grow up and marry, he is listed
on their marriage record as the father. Only a dna paternity test would
know for sure!

Sigrid Pohl Perry