[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ratz Family - City/Province of Origin?

Albert Muth albertmuth734 at gmail.com
Fri May 17 11:37:30 PDT 2013

I see little here to disagree wtih; quibbling, I see Brzizis as the village
of residence.
But it is still "a mess".  I have no idea what this could be and still be
within the
boundaries of "Sherlitz".  It looks badly mangled; do not place too much
reliance
on spelling or even a reliable phonetic rendering.

I am going to take a stab at identifying the province "Sherlitz".  We are
talking
about the gubernia level, and these are quite limited in number.

In the Kingdom of Poland (Russian Poland, Congress Kingdom of Poland)
I refer you to this map:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Polska_1907_adm.png

For the Western areas of Russia, I refer you to
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ukrchern/chernigov/maps/mapoutline1914.htm

I am ignoring the Volga German region on purpose, as it is quite separate
from the rest of these.

My hunch is that Sherlitz is a badly written version of Siedlce.  Keep in
mind that we are seeing a single word that is filled in to a box.  We need
to imagine the conversation that might have gone on.   The question "What
is the name
of the province you were born in?" would yield a one word answer.
If the question yielded a full sentence, the Ratzes might have answered
I was born in Sherlitz gubernia.  In any case, Sherlitz is AWFUL.

for the pronunciation, open this URL in another window:
http://translate.google.com/#pl/en/Siedlce.%20%20Gubernia%20siedlecka

Turn up the volume on your computer.  In the left box, In the bottom right
corner, you
will see an icon for volume (if you hover your mouse over it, it'll read
"listen").

If you can imagine one of our Germans trying to answer the question of where
he was from to a hostile bureaucrat processing immigrants in New York City,
this might be our place.

Joseph Ratz is a fisherman by profession.  This ought to limit you
to towns and villages on the rivers of that gubernia.

Could the destination be Shawano in Wisconsin?  It's adjacent to Oconto Co.

al muth