[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ratz Family - City/Province of Origin?

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Fri May 17 13:06:56 PDT 2013

Robin,

I think Al Muth has a very good suggestion that the location is a
village in Siedlce gubernia. I've seen this city and administrative
district name mangled on other North American records. The Wlodawa
powiat was a "county" sometimes located in Siedlecke, and other years in
Lubelskie gubernia. I'm familiar with many of the families who settled
in Oconto County, Wisconsin from Russian Poland. Several of us in SGGEE
are combining efforts to search through the relationships among those
immigrants. Some of us even have Ratz names in our ancestry from this
region. If Joseph Ratz worked as a fisherman there are two most likely
choices. Along the Bug River which served as the boundary between this
region and Volhynia, a possible village could be Zbereze. Or, the
village could have been Brzezce in Lubelskie along the Wisla/Vistula
River. This river had lots of "traffic" along its route, especially our
ancestors as they emigrated through Poland. At that time, Brzezce would
have also been in Siedlecke, Garwolin "county."

Do you have other information related to his generation? What is wife
Anna's maiden name? Do you know his parents' names or those of any of
his siblings? Even the complete names of cousins, aunts and uncles might
be useful. Any of this information might help you find more records and
locate the family in Russian Poland.

Sigrid Pohl Perry