[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ratz Family - City/Province of Origin?

Robin alphaf1 at yahoo.com
Fri May 17 14:47:35 PDT 2013

Al,

Thank you for the insights. The maps are great, too. It is all much appreciated.

I missed that Joseph was a fisherman as I thought it said farmer. After a closer look, I do believe you are right about that. Good thing, too, as it may help narrow down his home town.

I have tried to figure out the city named as his final destination. It certainly could be Shawano, as that is fairly close to where he did end up. At this point, I do not know who the brother-in-law is that met him in New York nor what other family members may have preceded him on this journey or where they may have settled. That said, it would not be unreasonable to assume that he may have been heading to family living in or near Shawano. The 1900 Federal Census shows him living in Underhill. In 1910, he was living in Gillett, which is about 5 miles away from Underhill. Gillett is where he died in 1911.

Robin Prigge