[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Oconto Wi COnnection Dr Oshwaldt

Gene Markiewicz genemarkiewicz at aol.com
Sat May 18 00:50:46 PDT 2013

Hello,  seeing several recent references to Oconto County WI., I have a
lingering question.

My grandparents along with three children  immigrated from general Radom
area in 1899.  I do not know how/why they chose Oconto Falls but family
stories have indicated they were sponsored by long time Oconto Co physician
Dr Herman Oshwaldt.  Their passage record indicated they were going to
Oconto to a cousin Oswalt first name is something like Ja?n?.  I have
noticed that several different Oswald names appear on birth records of
family members from Polish registers as witnesses or godparents.

I have never been able to determine a more direct connection or
understanding of this relationship.   He did delivery their US born children
and attested to  deaths of a couple.

I am curious as to whether others with the Oconto connection have any
knowledge of role Dr Oshwaldt may have had in sponsoring immigrants.

Gene