[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Tsarist Draft

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Wed May 29 05:22:44 PDT 2013

My grandfather, EMIL BETHKE (1893-1976), was in the Czar's navy, based in the Finland Basin in 1917 when the Revolution broke out.  He was drafted - but I don't know when.  He was born in 1893 in Pempkov, north of Kostopol, in Wolhynia.  Apparently he could not speak Russian at the beginning. This was a problem because the system was that the men were lined up according to height, and he, being a very tall man (at least 6'3") was supposed to be at the front - and legend has it that the person in charge of training was agreeable to Opa being next in line until he was able to understand sufficient Russian.  So, yes, there was a draft but am not sure when he was drafted.

Also, before the 1915 deportation to Siberia, my grandmother ALWINE BAIER (1895-1981), had been engaged to marry, but her fiancé was drafted and was never heard from again.  Unfortunately, I don't know his name or the date he was drafted, but he too would have been German.

PS  there is info on the history of Conscription in Russia -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Russia

so it looks like the draft age was 20 years

So something else to add to my Opa's military service information.  However, when the Revolution broke out, the navy was disbanded and he went in search of his family who were deported in July 1915.....He found them....and my grandmother whom he married in December 1917.

Helen

The wise man must remember that while he is a descendant of the past, he is a parent of the future.
--Herbert Spencer