[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Word Definition - Kantorsschulen

Jerry Frank franklyspeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 20 17:44:12 PST 2013

Although the term Kantor derives from choir director (I believe that J.S. Bach was a Kantor in a Lutheran Church), the role for this person in Volhynia expanded not only to teaching but also to include lay minister functions.  He would perform baptisms, officiate at funerals, teach confirmation classes, and lead the worship services.  He would not perform marriages or serve communion.  I do not know if the role was the same in Russian Poland.

I believe this was the case in Volhynia because of the large distances between the Betshaus (chapel) and the home church.  These distances were much less in Russian Poland.

Jerry