[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] EWZ immigration films at Mennonite Archives

Helen Gillespie gilleh23 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 10:04:51 PST 2013

There is a Mennonite Archives of Ontario based at the University of
Waterloo in Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario.  The main page lists the contents
of their archives.  In particular I noted that they hold some 199
microfilms of the EWZ - Einwandererzentralstelle (Immigration Center) of
the German government films in their collection, but also note other
holders of the films in archives in Canada and the US. Some of the films
have been indexed (and online ) for Mennonites but if you are within
driving distance of any of these facilities it may be worth a look at these
films if your ancestors were in the post-WWII wave of ethnic German
immigrants.  Borrowing fees from LDS are about $8 for a short term, more
for longer term. Each of the individual records does give the religious
affiliation.

https://uwaterloo.ca/mennonite-archives-ontario/einwandererzentralstelle-ewz-collection

However in my experience  reading some of tahe microfilms in the *EWZ57
series which are dated mostly in 1939-1940, they contain *the Galician and
Wolhynian immmigrants. The other series - EWZ50 and EWZ58 - were from other
areas where ethnic Germans lived.

In addition there is some other useful information and links.

Helen Gillespie