[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] some kind of grain

Otto otto at schienke.com
Fri Nov 29 19:40:41 PST 2013

On Nov 29, 2013, at 9:30 PM, rlyster wrote:

> Maybe you mean Weisekorn  or Wheat??   Rita

BUCKWHEAT
I cannot state with certainty but I'd place my nickel on Buckwheat.

Buchweizen = Beechwheat = Buckwheat = Fagopyrum esculentum related to rhubarb, an ancient seed cultivated approximately 8,000 years. We raised a field of it each year for baking and as a grits sausage ingredient.  My son saw fields of it growing in Bhutan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckwheat

Schwarzes Welschkorn {n} [Buchweizen]
buckwheat [Fagopyrum esculentum, syn.: F. emarginatum]bot.
common buckwheat [Fagopyrum esculentum, syn.: F. emarginatum]bot.
Japanese buckwheat [Fagopyrum esculentum, syn.: F. emarginatum]bot.
silverhull buckwheat [Fagopyrum esculentum, syn.: F. emarginatum]bot.

http://www.dict.cc/german-english/Schwarzes+Welschkorn.html

http://translation.babylon.com/german/Welschkorn/#
Welschkorn in German
Welschkorn bezeichnet:
	• (Alt)-Mais (von „welschem Korn“)
	• Echter Buchweizen (auch Schwarzes Welschkorn)

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welschkorn

. . .   Otto
         " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 01, 2013-