[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] some kind of grain

Richard Benert benovich at live.com
Sat Nov 30 09:24:52 PST 2013

Vielen Dank to all who troubled themselves over Welschkorn!  At least the
choice of definition is narrowed down to two.  I was inclined to go with
Otto's discovery that Russia produces a lot of buckwheat, until I ran into a
report by the American consul in Odessa in 1908 talking about how much maize
was grown in Bessarabia.  What surprised me was his statement that 25% of
the arable land there was given to maize for HUMAN consumption, not just for
fodder.  Thanks, Rita for the alemannisch lexikon, et votre Anglais,
Susanne, est beaucoup meilleur que mon Francais!

Dick