[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Question for those that know DNA

Vince Tilroe vtilroe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 12:52:56 PDT 2013

A three-step difference on 67 markers between two Y-DNA haplotypes would
typically imply the existence of a common paternal line ancestor who lived
about 21 generations ago more or less, (on average), or approximately
between 500 to 800 years ago.

The rule of thumb is each step-wise difference between 37 marker haplotypes
averages at approximately 15 generations per step to a common ancestor,
whereas each step-wise difference between 67 marker haplotypes averages at
approximately 7 generations per step to a common ancestor.  Also, the more
markers that are being compared will shrink the confidence interval of the
resulting Time to Most Recent Common Ancestor (TMRCA) estimate.

By extension, the time interval correlating to each step-wise difference
between two haplotypes using 111 markers goes down to approximately 3.5
generations per step to the common paternal-line ancestor.  Even comparing
a father and son at 111 markers or less has revealed zero, one and even two
differences between them, but the latter is exceptionally rare.

I can't speak for the German states, but surnames in the Netherlands were
adopted only 300 to 600 years ago approximately, and some as recently as
200 years ago.  Consequently, a 64/67 or 65/67 match between males having
different surnames does happen, and yes, I would say that the match is
significant.

Vince Tilroe

---