[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Need Help Locating a Town in Belarus

Nadia Anderson anderson.nadia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 13:19:01 PDT 2013

Dear List -

First, I want to thank Jimmy Gerum for his help last week in deciphering
the Ship Manifest for my gr-grandfather!  This information has led me to a
second question about the last name of my gr-grandfather: Oscar Cilz. Based
on my research so far, this seems to be an incredibly uncommon last name
and I haven't turned up a lot of leads. The name is spelled Zilz on his
ship manifest (1912). Later on his Naturalization  records (1914) it was
spelled Cilz.

I am wondering two things:

#1 - anyone else has come across the last name Cilz/Zilz?
#2 - if anyone with more knowledge of Polish/German/Russian last names can
suggest alternate spellings of this name for me to include in my search?

Thanks so much,

Nadia