[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germany, Russia locations 1860 - 1905

Paul Rakow paul.edward.luther.rakow at desy.de
Mon Oct 28 13:08:52 PDT 2013

  Hello Charlotte,

       I think you asked about some of these places a few months ago.

       The first place is Jannewitz, Kreis Schlawe in Pommern.

    Prussia is the country. Pommern (called Pomerania in English)
  is the province, Schlawe the kreis (or county), and Jannewitz
  the old German name for the village. It is now in Poland, its
  current name in Janiewice. It is at 16 46 east, 54 16 north,
  a little south of Slawno.  I can't figure out what "Lukon"
  might mean - do you know where you found that?

    Plotzig, Kreis Rummelsburg, is also now in Poland, with the
  Polish name Plocko. It is at 16 50 east, 54 08 north, just a
  little further south from Jannewitz.

    Dunzick will surely be Danzig, the big port city, now called Gdansk.

    It sounds like you've already found Kurowek - it's at about
  19 09 east, 51 27 north, just a little west from Zelow.

      kartenmeister.com is very good for finding the locations
  of towns and villages that were in Germany before the wars, and
  in Poland or Russia now - that's where I found the coordinates
  for your two Pomeranian towns. kartenmeister.com also lists
  some other people looking for Rosin and Garbe in Jannewitz - have
  you tried contacting them?

       You can find these places on google maps, if you enter the
  Polish names - but you have to be careful because often there
  are many Polish towns with the same name, and google might try
  taking you to one of the other towns.

            Paul Rakow