[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GERMANS FROM RUSSIAN POLAND ACCENTS

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Mon Sep 9 19:21:43 PDT 2013

Mike,

This question does not have any easy answers. Our German ancestors who
lived in Russian Poland or Volhynia left that region anywhere between
1900 and 1940. No Germans were allowed to remain in those regions after
1945. Before that time, they had been migrating as colonists, farmers,
cloth-makers, etc. perhaps from before 1800 until the time they left for
Germany, Canada, the United States or South American countries. They
suffered Deportation to Russia in WWI and Resettlement to northern
Poland in 1940. Many may have had individual dialects from their native
Germanic regions at one time, but the German language they had in common
with each other was Luther's German from the Bible, High German, and
that's what their children would have learned to communicate in German
outside the home. I was surprised when I studied German in my Illinois
high school that the language I had learned at home was basically
"school German" because my parents had only been to Polish school with
less than an 8th grade education. I didn't learn any kind of
"platt-deutsch" dialect at home and was immediately fluent in the classroom.

I can say that the older relatives I have spoken with in Germany who had
the same background as my parents, living in Russian Poland, have all
been easy to understand, and they were amazed at how easily they
understood me, an American. Certainly, we also shared some "domestic"
expressions which modern Germans might not use. Germans from other parts
of Germany who did not have this background have been more difficult to
understand. But any surviving Germans from Russian Poland are all over
80 years old and I don't think you could survey them. Even they have
lived in other places for over 70 years and probably rarely encounter
anyone from their childhood villages.

I hope some of our German subscribers to the List can comment further on
this.

Sigrid Pohl Perry
Evanston, Illinois