[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German speaking churches in WWII

Charlotte Dubay hoeserhistory at aol.com
Thu Sep 12 21:50:47 PDT 2013

...My late mother once told me that during WWI while the Allies had blockaded
Germany, depriving  non-combatants food, in violation of the rules of war,
her German Reformed pastor near Stratford, Wisconsin...

Doesn't seem that America was that tolerant come WWII:

My families attended German-speaking German Lutheran Churches in Jamestown, Fargo, ND areas and Madison, Huron SD areas.

During WWII they had to stop all services spoken in German, and had to go to English - even though some members didn't understand English.

I had aunts and uncles near Madison, Wisconsin, and it was the same there: they stopped having church services in German.

Charlotte DuBay
hoeserhistory at aol.com