[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] tombstone translations

Charlotte Dubay hoeserhistory at aol.com
Sun Sep 15 15:58:08 PDT 2013

RE: the tombstone in South Dakota.
Jerry, forgive my indulgence for such a long post, but I thought the readers would enjoy the translations. Thank you ALL who helped. The words are sad…but thank you. If I accidentally
didn’t post your response, please do so. It will probably be interesting to all, Char.

A few extra words but unfortunately not the whole thing. ,,,Jerry

Charlotte,
In addition to several web translators -
There are many free places on the internet where you can store a copy of your
photo, then point to the URL for anyone reading your post.
There are also free photo editors on the internet that can not only enlarge,
but enhance the contrast - which you likely need.
If those ideas don't work for you, send it to me. I don't know if I can
translate what I'd find, but I'll return the best photo enhancement I can
Bob K

Hi Charlotte,
Weinend legen wir dich nieder in dein stilles Schlafgemach. Niemals kehrst du zu uns wieder.
Darum weinen wir dir nach. Doch es schlägt für uns die Stunde, wo wir dich einst wiedersehen.
It is interesting, that there are two mistakes:
kehrst is written kerst
schlägt is written schlächt
Do you need a translation into English?
Best wishes
Jimmy

Charlotte
Maybe Jerry Frank or Sigrid Pohl can translate the text for you.
The inscription reads in German:
HERMAN L. HOSER
GEB. 12. OKT. 1845
GEST. 14. DEC. 1925
LOUISA K. SEINE FRAU
GEB. 24. DEC. 1853
GEST. 07. OKT. 1910
Weinend legen wir Dich wieder in dein stilles Schlafgemach. Niemals kerst du zu uns wieder. Darum weinen wir dir nach. Wach es schläckt für uns die Stunde bis wir dich einst wieder sehen.
Correct German:
Weinend legen wir Dich wieder in dein stilles Schlafgemach. Niemals kehrst du zu uns zurück. Darum weinen wir dir nach. Wache, es schlägt für uns die Stunde bis wir dich einst wieder sehen.
Regards
Ursula

Here is the info on births and deaths (you probably have this figured out):
Herman L. Hoser
born October 12, 1845
died December 14, 1925
Louisa A.
his wife
born December 24, 1853
died October 7, 1910
The Text (both in German and in English):
Weinend legen wir dich nieder in dein
stilles Schlafgemach. Niemals kehrst du
zu uns wieder. Darum weinen wir dir
nach. Doch es schlägt für uns die Stunde,
wo wir dich einst wieder sehen.
Crying, we lay you down in your
quiet sleeping chamber. Never will you
return to us again. Therefore, we cry for
you. But the bell tolls for us,
where we will see you once again.
Linda

The Last line will do it. Enough here for you to put it together.
Someone had a sense of culture and art. . . Beautiful choice!
I think I'd simply state for myself, "I'd rather be walking."
"Einmal, da schlägt für uns die Stunde. . ." Einmal komm ich zu dir"
In time, strikes for us the hour. . . In time will I come to you.
La Paloma. German version spinoff …
La Paloma Adieu (transl.)
. . . Otto

This is the German as I can decipher it:
Weinend legen wir dich nieder in dein
stilles Schlafgemach. Niemals kerst (spelling should be "kehrst") du
zu uns wieder. Darum weinen wir dir
auch nach. Doch es schlächt (spellinng should be "schlägt") für uns die Stunde
wo wir dich wieder sehen.
Translation:
With weeping lay we you down into your
silent bed chamber. You will never return to us again. Therefore, we weep for you.
The hour is coming for us when we shall see you again.
George

Here's what I think I see: Weinend legen wir dich nieder in dein stille Schlafgemach. Niemals kerst du zu uns wieder. Darum weinen wir dir nach. Nach es schlächt für uns die stunde wo wir dich einst wieder sehen.
Translation: In tears we lay you down in your quiet bedroom. Never will you return to us. Therefore we mourn you. After the hour strikes for us, we will see you once again
Problems: "kerst" must be a misspelling of "kehrst" (from "kehren"--to turn). The last sentence has three problem words, Nach, schlächt, and wo. I'm not sure about either of them. Schlächt must be a misspelling of schlägt (schlagen--to strike). If it's not, then I don't know what it is. And "wo" is very unclear--I'm just guessing. So my translation of the last sentence may not be exactly right, but you get the idea.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a rubbing of that stone?
Hope this helps...
Dick

Dick's rhetorical question says so much:
WOULDN'T IT BE NICE TO HAVE A RUBBING OF THAT STONE?
Charlotte DuBay
hoeserhistory at aol.com