[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Dutch vs. German - Bloch/Block

Foote, Daniel dfoote at okstate.edu
Mon Sep 16 10:59:21 PDT 2013

I'm behind because I started a new job this weekend. Hopefully I can add
something.

1. Some branches of the Block surname, especially those found in North and
Central Poland, are of Dutch origin.  See my post here and the links I
give: http://mennonitegenealogyforum.com/forum/Thread-van-der-Block

2. Charlotte Dubay: Is it possible that your ggm spoke "Pennsylvania
Dutch"? This is not actually Dutch, but a form of High German. But because
of the Block surname, 'Dutch' might me correct.

3. Low German/Saxon is its own language family, separate from High German.
Within it there are dialects. Frisian is also its own language. One of its
dialects is West Frisian. To confuse matters, one dialect of Low German is
East Frisian.

4. Imagine a continuum, or spectrum. On the left, English. On the right,
High German. Starting from the right, moving left. Leaving High German in
the south and central areas and moving north, you encounter dialects that
get closer to Low German. Tag ('day') becomes Dag (g like k). Moving
further left you reach Dutch. Dag (dak) becomes Dag (g like ch in the back
of the mouth). Moving further left you reach Frisian. The consonant of Dag
is lost, becoming 'dei' prounounced like English 'day'. Frisian is the
closest related language to English. In 1066, the Anglo-Saxons and the
Frisians would have been able to understand each other.