[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Resettlement camp

George Shoning shoning at q.com
Tue Apr 29 13:01:46 PDT 2014

Joan,

If you go to www.google.de and search "Berka/Wipper", you will get multiple hits.  Most of the information is in German, but Google can translate it into understandable English.  As an example, here is an excerpt:

 Ab 1944 begann der Zuzug von Ausgebombten, Flüchtlingen und Vertriebenen durch die Folgen des Zweiten Weltkrieges. Im Jahr 1950 wurden die Dörfer Stockhausen, Jecha und Jechaburg endgültig der Stadt Sondershausen hinzugefügt.

The Google translation:

As of 1944, the influx of bombed, refugees and displaced persons began by the consequences of the Second World War. In 1950, the villages Stockhausen, Jecha and Jechaburg were added finally the City Special Hausen.

Not perfect, but you can follow it reasonably well.  I would say, ". . . displaced persons as the result of the Second World War." and ". . . were finally added to the city of Sonderhausen".  Unfortunately, Google translates "Sonderhausen" as two words "Sonder" and "hausen".

I noticed one of the "hits" mentioned cemeteries.  Perhaps you can find a cemetery record for your grandfather's brother.

George Shoning