[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] my search in Sierpc

Chris Knopf skugger at chartermi.net
Sat Aug 23 12:13:08 PDT 2014

What a coincidence it is that i would choose to make my first post to
this group, and find Linda's post regarding the history of Sierpc.  i
have been researching my Prussian/Lutheran ancestors in this area for
years, starting in Przasnysz and Ciechanow, with my trail of ancestors
taking me eastward the farther back in time i go.  Currently my research
is in the late 18th century, in the villages of Gojsk, Sudragi, Gozdy,
and Czartownia, all just a few miles outside of Sierpc.  Many thanks,
Linda!  i'm grateful to have some real historical info on this area.

i'm by no means an expert on this, so my question may be a silly one.
i'm reviewing LDS film 0810847 and have found the death record of my
gr-gr-gr-gr-gr grandfather, Mateusz Knopf, who died in 1823. While i'm
glad to have this record, and am grateful that i'm able to find any info
at all, so far into the past, i'm disappointed at the glaring lack of
information on the death record.  The record does not name his children,
other than two of his sons who were witnesses, the two children i
already knew about.  The record also does not seem to mention the names
of his parents, nor does it name the village of his birth.  Without this
info, my research may be at a dead end.

i know that there were both catholic and evangelical parishes in the
area, but i've never fully understood how that might affect my
research.  I imagine my ancestors were protestant (a couple of them were
ministers), but the record mentioned above is found in catholic
records.  Does this mean there may also be a death record in an
evangelical record book somewhere?  Might an evangelical record contain
more info?  Or is this all there is?

I am planning a trip to Sierpc and Lipno a year from now, since i'm
nearing the end of what LDS films can show me.  I hope to have a better
understanding of all this before i go, so i can plan accordingly.

Chris Knopf