[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Australian DNA testing

CelticMythos celticmythos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 10:47:43 PDT 2014

My father's side are Germans of Russian Heritage (immigrated from Volhynia to the US).  I have been unable to find where they came from in Germany. We recently had my brother take the Y-DNA37, mtDNA, and FamilyFinder (autosomal) tests from FamilyTree DNA.  We have results back but not a lot of matches yet.  This will change as more people become involved.

On my mother's side, my uncle recently did the YDNA-37 test and we found several very close matches with documented lines. So we now know who the immigrant to the US was and we know this branch of the family came from Scotland straight to the US and didn't go through Ireland as we had thought. Unfortunately my line is not one of the documented lines, but at least I have a starting point, which we haven't had for 15 years.

My boyfriend's last name does not exist outside of the US. Recent DNA testing has pointed to matches in very specific locations in England and Wales. This helped a lot in trying to figure out what country to spend time searching for records.

DNA testing is not a magic bullet but it can provide new places to search and more importantly eliminate places and lines to investigate.

Lexi