[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Software recomendations

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 13:11:18 PST 2014

Richard,

Each person may want different things from their genealogy program, so
any review of the different programs is going to be biased by the
reviewer, based on what they want from the software.    I have used
several programs over more than a dozen years, and of the ones used or
reviewed (PAF, Reunion and Family Tree Maker), I find Legacy
(http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/DownloadLegacy.asp) the best by far.
But then perhaps my needs are different than yours?

I like Legacy for the following reasons:

1.  The standard version, which is adequate for most users, is free.

2.  The Deluxe version, which has many features that I use daily, is
$29.95 US.   It is the same program as the standard version, but when
you pay for the license, you get an unlock code that allows the Deluxe
features to be used.

3.  Legacy has a policy of one license per family, so even if that
family has a dozen computers, there is only one license required.

4.  Legacy has master lists that easily allow global changes to location
names, surnames and other items.  I find these master lists exceedingly
useful to correct and combine multiple versions of the same location or
surname.

5.  Legacy has auto-complete fields, so that once you enter a surname or
location, you only need to type enough of the surname or location so
that the place you previously entered shows- perfect for keeping errors
out of your data.

6.  Legacy has an excellent merge routine so that you are allowed to
truly merge two records, and not just create alternate data, which most
other genealogy programs do.

7.  Legacy has potential problems lists that list records that might
show a bad date, a relationship that could not exist (like a child born
after the mother is deceased), children born after the parents have been
married more than 25 years, etc.

8.  Legacy can show relationships to anyone in the database, either in
the family view, or even in the name list.   So, for instance, I can
scroll through the name list and see immediately how everyone in my
database is related to me.

9.  Legacy allows you to export only parts of your data to someone
else.   That is extremely helpful when you want to send data only only a
specific line of your data to a relative.

10.  Legacy allows you to color code the different branches of your
family tree for easy recognition.

11.  Legacy allows you to made all of your direct ancestors show in bold
print in any name list or listing of children, so you can easily
navigate up and down your pedigree in the family view.

12.  Legacy allows you to see any location you enter on a map, and also
allows you to enter the coordinates for that location so that there is
no question which village you are using in your data. Very useful in
Poland and any other location where the same village name DOES appear
many times, even in the same county.

13.  Legacy allows you to color code each gender to a different color,
including a color for unknown gender.   Very useful when looking at
lists of names and you see that a male name shows up with a female color.

14.  Legacy is fully coordinated with the Family Search Internet
program, and allows you to upload data to that website, and also to
download data directly into your Legacy database without any typing of
the data exchanged.   This site was once only for members of The Church
of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons), but is now open to the
public, and all are encouraged to use it.   It contains data on millions
and millions of persons.  As in all databases, you need to review any
data downloaded to make sure it makes sense.

15.  Forgot to mention earlier that all updates for any given version of
Legacy (currently version 8) are free.   This is true for both the
standard free version, and the Deluxe version.   A new version comes out
every few years, but the updates come out as often as needed to enhance
or debug the software.   Most other genealogy programs require you to
pay for each update, no matter how small the change from the previous
version.

16.  Legacy runs in a window that is continuously scalable.   Thus, if
the font is too small for your eyes, you can make the window larger, and
the font will also get bigger.

There is lots more that Legacy does, and I probably forgot some
important features, but this is what came to mind in the last few minutes.

Gary Warner
SGGEE Databases Manager- currently using Legacy for the SGGEE database
of more than 527,000 names.