[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Software recomendations

Peter chamdo4ever at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 15:42:03 PST 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Gary Warner <garyw555 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Two quick comments and a question:
>
> 1.   I have never seen any software program that is identical on two
> different operating systems.  In addition, it takes a great deal of effort
> to create more than one version of any software.   Would the effort not be
> better spent on a single version of the software- just LINUX if you like?

Well, again, that's one of the advantages to Open Source -- the source
code is not limited to one programmer, or one team of programmer's at
one company to work on it.... it's only limited by all the
programmer's in the world who take interest in that specific software.
So Gramps (and other Open Source software like Firefox, Google Chrome,
LibreOffice, Thunderbird Mail, VLC media player, etc.) all have
versions that run on Windows, Mac, and Linux. This is already turning
into a big digression on Open Source (which was not my intention and I
apologize for that), but that's the very nature of Open Source is that
the code is open so it can be designed to work on any platform that
anyone needs it on as long as any programmer in the world who cares
about it wants to take it on. Open Source software is truly "free."

> 2.  Legacy will run on a Mac, but you have to use an emulator like Parallels
> to do so.

And that's an expensive emulator at that! Open Source software runs
natively on Windows, Mac, and Linux -- at no monetary cost, with no
emulators.

> 3.  If you do not use gedcom, how do you share your data with anyone else?

Ahh, but I do use Gedcom! Just not as the only means (and certainly
not the definitive means) of sharing data. If I were uploading my data
from Gramps to Ancestry or another site, I would of course do a Gedcom
export and it would likely serve Ancestry, etc. just fine. But I would
not begin to pretend that a Gedcom export contained every scrap of
data that I have in my database. My database is filled with details
that are beyond the capabilities of the Gedcom format. I store them in
Gramps -- and in Gramps' own open database format -- my data is
"free."

I can share my data in other formats, but I'm well aware that there
will be some loss. My Gramps database is my definitive database as it
is Open Source.

If I need to share data with my cousin, just some core information,
Gedcom will likely work just fine. But if he needs every scrap of
detail that is beyond the Gedcom standard's abilities (like
witnesses), well, then he's going to need to install Gramps.... which
of course he can do since it runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux... and
there is no monetary cost. he just needs to download it. If he's
running Legacy on Windows, he could run Gramps side by with Legacy and
import the witness information (that Gedcom can't handle) manually.
Or, better yet, could raise his concerns with Legacy developers and
ask them to create a function that can import Gramps data. Or, since
Gramps own source programming code is completely open, my cousin or
anyone he could appeal to people with programming skills to try to
make a free app that can convert Gramps data to Legacy... but that's
of course extremely difficult since Legacy is closed source and not
"free" in that sense...

Peter