[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Scheppel village

Katrin Hanko katrin at bokser.ee
Thu Jan 2 10:59:55 PST 2014

Dear Jerry, dear Bernd,

thank you for your replies!

Jerry, I can read Cyrillic text indeed. There is no doubt that this Scheppel
is a place name. The sentence says "... born in the village Scheppel in
Prussia...".  I have tried Schöppel, Schappel, Scheppeldorf, etc. but with
no better success. So your suggestions of Scheppelwitz or Schepelse or
Czaple (suggested by Edelgard) or another Czaple (suggested by Frank) are
perfect options. It seems that I have to wait for more church books of
Lask/Zdunska Wola to be published on internet (there are only records from
1871 and 1872) - perhaps there will be an answer for me :) Thank you all
very much!

By the way - for the period of appr. 1820 ~ 1840 there are a lot of records
to be found in Mikolajewice Roman Catholic church books. The Germans
residing in villages like Chorzeszow, Jesionna, Ludowinka, Huta Janowska,
etc., used to go to Mikolajewice before switching to Lask Ewangelical church
some time in 1840-1850. I have found a lot of valuable information there.

And other thing which could be interesting to all - at the beginning of 20th
century some German families (from Wolhynia and from Poland among other
parts of Russian Empire) came to Estonia and established 3-4 small German
colonies. You can find their records in local church books, they are
available on internet. Please feel free to ask me, if you need some
guidance.

Best regards
Katrin
Tallinn, Estonia