[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Divorces in Volhynia and how to locatefilms

ra_stein at telus.net ra_stein at telus.net
Sat Jan 11 08:58:10 PST 2014

Corinne,

I'll try to answer your question about SGGEE searches.  You are referring to
the Volhynia-Kiev-Podolia (VKP) database, also called the St. Petersburg
Archive database.

Each parish kept a register book of baptisms, confirmations, marriages, and
deaths and each year a copy (somewhat abbreviated, especially for marriages)
was sent to the consistory office in St. Petersburg.  These copies are now
held in the St. Petersburg Archive.  Some years ago, the LDS photographed
the records from about 1830 to 1885 and made them available on microfilms.
A group of volunteers indexed these records and placed them in a database
accessible on the internet.  This database forms the basis of the SGGEE VKP
database.  The microfilms listed in the Film column are these St. Petersburg
Archive microfilms - most begin with the numbers 18.  The Page number and
Register number refer to entries within the microfilms.  Note that some of
the original church records may be in the present Ukraine archives at Luck,
Rivne, and Zhitomir.

Between the WW I and WW II, the western part of Volhynia was included in
indepentent Poland.  As a result, some church records for that area ended up
in Warsaw.  In particular, AGAD archive in Warsaw hold original church
register books for Rozyszcze parish from its founding in 1862.  AGAD also
has some records from Wladimir parish (founded in 1891) and Luck parish
(founded in 1899).  LDS made available microfilms of these Rozyszcze records
from 1862 to 1895 (1899 for births) with film numbers starting with 238.
SGGEE indexed these microfilms and added the data to the St. Petersburg
database to form the VKP database.

Thus, Rozyszcze records are in the St. Petersburg microfilms and in the AGAD
microfilms - and they differ somewhat.  Also, some years are missing the the
St. Petersburg films.  For marriages, the St. Petersburg data is only an
index giving the names of the groom and bride and the marriage date.  The
AGAD records are full records giving names of the groom and bride, their
ages, their birthplaces, their parents' names.  The AGAD marriage register
includes entries where banns were published but the marriage did not take
place - these are not included in the St. Petersburg records and as a result
the Register numbers differ.

Fortunately, now both sets of records have been scanned and are available on
the internet, although the St. Petersburg scans must be accessed from a
Family History Center.  See
https://www.sggee.org/research/parishes/church_parishes/LutheransInVolhyniaKievPodolia.html
for a complete list of Volhynia church records and where they may be
accessed.

I hope this helps.

Dick Stein