[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] east prussians from russia

George Shoning shoning at q.com
Tue Jan 28 14:15:48 PST 2014

Cheryl,

I don't know if you have access to a book by Michael J. Anuta, "The Beautiful People Czudnochowski", but Section IV of the book lists the descendants of Fredericka (Frieda) Czudnochowski and Gottlieb Kostreva.  One of the children of this couple was Minnie Kostreva,born on 25 March 1877 in Russia, and Minnie married a Ludwig Nasgowitz circa 1897 in Russia.  Ludwig's birth date is given as 1874 in Russia.

When there is a reference to "Russia", you can be almost certain that it is one of the villages in the Toporishche (Топорище)area of today's Ukraine. A group of people from southeastern East Prussia settled there in 1865 and later years. Some of these settlers returned to East Prussia in the 1890s and emigrated to the U.S., settling in Wisconsin.

I have acquired this information, because the Czudnochowski or Tschudnochowski (Чудноховский)family is one of my research interests.

George Shoning