[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] grading of school and other papers

PETER VON LIPINSKY lipinsky at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 12 20:44:50 PDT 2014

This message is for Suzanne Farrand .

I just looked at some of my old school " Zeugnisse "  / report cards and they used two systems many many years ago.

One system was where they used only numbers . On the bottom of one report cards is an explanation printed for the numbers:

 Leistungen  / Grades :
 # 1   =  Sehr gut / very good
 # 2   =  Gut / good
 #2/3  =  Befriedigend /  satisfying
 #3    =  Genügend / makes the grade
 #4    =  Mangelhaft / not very satisfying
 #5    = Ungenügwend / not satisfying

On one of my other report cards, the grade is written out as :

Zensuren  / Grades ;

Sehr gut ,  Gut,   Befriedigend, unbefriedigend .

 Much the same as the system using the number system . I guess it was up to the teacher which system he wanted to use. these
 two systems mentioned here, were used in Berlin. It could very well be, that in other areas of Germany ,  ( other school districts ) a slightly different system was used. But as far as I know, it was always from # 1 to # 5
Hope this helps. Peter von Lipinsky