[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Der Sendbote obituaries (was: Re: Manitoba Churches (Baptist))

DLPratt123 at aol.com DLPratt123 at aol.com
Thu Jul 24 05:26:42 PDT 2014

Thank you to all who responded publicly and privately. One person
indirectly suggested the Canadian Baptists of Western Canada, which turns out to  be
Manitoba and further west; their website mentions the two more easterly
groups. Most of us with Baptist ancestors either in Canada or the USA will
probably want the German Baptists, renamed the North American Baptists, email
address as in Corinne's reply below.

The NAB archives volunteered the little information they had on Plum
Coulee, but with some give and take and further research we established that the
records went to the Baptist church in Morris, Manitoba. The people there
tried  very hard to help but were able to locate no Plum Coulee document older
than the  list of members who transferred in 1920.

The North American Baptists have a complete set (1853-1971) of the
German-language newspaper Der Sendbote on microfilm, and volunteered to  look up
obituaries, if you provide name and date of death. They will email  copies of
what they find, $10 for the first obituary and $5 for other  obituaries.
(Speaking for myself, since an unsuccessful search is more laborious  than a
successful search, you may want to send something even in that  case.) They
found obituaries for three of the six family members I named (and I  already
had a couple more), but that is too small a sample for me to determine  how
obituaries were chosen for publication. An obituary may well contain
birthplace or place of baptism in Eastern Europe, making up somewhat for the
dearth of surviving Volhynian records.

Dan Pratt

In a message dated 6/17/2014 3:00:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,