[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Frauzdorf

T M Schoenky spaghettitree at aol.com
Sun Jul 27 11:54:29 PDT 2014

After looking into Meyers-Orts (Vol. II) it looks like those German "u" letters have turned upside down into 'n' letters.    They do that just to give us gray hair.    In handwritten German the only way to distinguish the lower-case u from lower-case n is with that little smiley-face curve, always and only over the u.  If memory serves, that little curve is called an ub-chen.  There is no village named Frauzdorf in there, but  Franzdorf, yes - 5 of them - Vol. I, page 502.   The first one is near Köslin.   In 1910 there were only 270 people there, so not big enough to warrant a hospital.    In 1853, if she was lucky, a midwife was located and the baby born at home.    A doctor would have been extra-special.

Maureen