[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] EWZ question (Norenberg)

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 18:31:16 PDT 2014

Mauricio,

I understand your problem. Your family left Volhynia before WWI, but you
know they probably left relatives, and not just Noerenbergs, behind.
SGGEE has helped you find connections to earlier ancestors like those in
Glogowiec, the ancestral village even you and I share. But you have many
gaps. You don't know which families moved to Canada, the US, Germany, or
other places, nor when they left between 1915 and 1950. Also, any
Noerenberg women who married changed their names. And you have ancestors
with many other names. I know that the data you have submitted to SGGEE
for the MPD will help you make connections and will lead to records in
other villages besides those in Volhynia.

Now, to make a few comments about EWZ. Before I had access to the Lublin
records which include all my families between 1860 and 1940 (except a
few who also emigrated at random times to the US, Canada or Germany), I
ordered many EWZ films. I first ordered the alphabetical Kartei films
for Domres and Pohl (my parents). I made a note of anyone who came from
the Lublin area. I began ordering films and I found much information
which I didn't know before. Now that I have Lublin records, I know some
of that information was vague and incorrect, but it was a place to
start. Of course, I have no idea what happened to most of those people
after the resettlement in 1940. Did they survive the war? Where did they
move after the war ended? But they are now part of my family history.

I suggest you order the alphabetical Kartei film for
Noerenberg/Norenberg. It may have Volhynia residents as well as ones
from the Lublin area and other areas of Poland. You may find people who
connect to your grandparents or great-grandparents. Make notes or take
photos of the ones whose wives or parents share some of your other
surnames. Whether you find enough information to order specific films
will depend on what you find. But you don't have to order random films.
Dave Obee's website does give the names of many Volhynian residents in
1940-1943 who were resettled, and it gives the names of villages which
may be familiar to your family story. That should help you decide which
films to order there.

Our people suffered many forced migrations and some died in far places.
But others found new homes in new lands. SGGEE helps us connect to them.
And I'm glad I'm a member.

Sigrid