[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Guides to using Metryki and Geneteka

Gerald Klatt gerald.klatt at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 14 11:14:22 PDT 2014

Hello SGGEE mailing list readers,

I've received several private emails asking me about the subject and thought I'd pass along the following information I found online.

PTG—Polskie Towarzystwo Genealogiczne, The Polish Genealogical Society, has its headquarters in Warsaw. It has for several years been working with some Polish State Archives on digitizing their vital records. PTG signs an agreement with an archive to digitize the records and places digitized copies online free of charge. Many of these records have already been indexed and we've been using them for some time. These can be searched online and are linked to scans that can be downloaded for free. PTG administers two databases: Metryki and Geneteka.

Metryki is a database of digitized records and a large number of indexed records with links to scans. If records from a particular parish have been indexed, a search function enables users to find the desired copy. In cases when parishes have not been indexed, one can manually look through records online. A guide to using Metryki may be found here:

http://mikeeliasz.wordpress.com/2014/02/27/guide-poradnik-for-using-metryki-genbaza-pl-polish-archive-guide-poradnik/

Geneteka is a database of mainly indexes, although many of them are linked to digitized records, as in Metryki. In cases when records are not available online, it is possible to find the number of the desired record and contact an archive to request a copy. A guide to using Geneteka may be found here:

http://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Geneteka_database

Regards,

Gerald