[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] stuck on name "Galenyewski"

Laurelei Primeau laurelei at telus.net
Sun Jun 15 12:00:49 PDT 2014

It took 20 years to find the marriage record for Edward Schindle and Helen (mystery name). Helen (the grandmother of a thousand names) is listed on her marriage record as "Galenyewski". Google informs me that this is not the name I'm looking for ;-)

Clearly, this name will be spelled many different ways. I need help!

Helen lived in Beausejour, MB at the time of her marriage. She was born in Germany in 1889.
I believe her parents lived in Canada at the time - since Edward's father in law shot at him around 1912.

Helen gives her name as "Behrend" on her 3rd son's birth certificate. Later documents (her children's death records) have her listed as Kolmeski and Goloviesky.

The young lady died in 1917, but I can't access the SK death records for 1917 yet.
The Edward Schindle family lived primarily in Aberdeen SK, in Bergheim.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Laurelei

“What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall