[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] stuck on name "Galenyewski"

Helen Gillespie gilleh23 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 06:24:34 PDT 2014

Hi Laurelei,  et al

The 1916 census for Edward and Helen Schindel
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/006003/t-21945/jpg/31228_4363974-00117.jpg

The 1921 census listed them as  Stcheindel  - an obvious error!  ( I don't
have access to the actual link - this is from Ancestry.ca)

http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?new=1&gsln=Schindel&gl=CanadianCensus&rank=1&gss=sfs21_cms_landing&msypn__ftp=Aberdeen%2C+Saskatchewan%2C+Canada&msypn=1650792&msypn_PInfo=8-%7C0%7C1652393%7C0%7C3243%7C0%7C5010%7C0%7C0%7C1650792%7C0%7C

They lived in Aberdeen, SK it appears

A search for a Lutheran cemetery in Melville got this hit

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cansacem/melville.html

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~skyorkto/Yorkton/stpaul_cem.html

There was a Kate Schindel buried there - aged 2 in May 1922.  It might be
worth contacting this Church to see if there was a burial that was not
indexed - perhaps there was not a permanent stone but noted in the burial
register.  And possibly a second marriage since the children were so young.

It is possible that Helen may have been buried in the municipal cemetery,
so a query to the Melville SK municipal cemetery might provide
information.

Melville Municipal Cemetery

Venessa Brouillard, Administrative Assistant

Phone: 306-728-6840

E-mail: vbrouillard at melville.ca

Melville churches:

http://city.melville.sk.ca/content/churches

If not Melville, here,s a link to searching for churches in Saskatachewn:
http://sk.churchdirectory.ca/

Aberdeen does not appear to have one now - but may have at one time.

Also found this:

Schindel, JOHN 50 born Czaplovich, Russia; PAULINE 53; GR. Port of entry
Winnipeg Manitoba Aug 10, 1912; serial 198-151-30 class E.  Relative son
EDWARD SCHINDEL, Aberdeen, SASK. In USA 1896 to Apl 1903 North Dakota.
Paid self. To Alberta, ATA b.i. Chas DOEN $1300, permanent, 5'5 med bro
blue. NY May 1896 Stuttgart. Also John 50 5'5" 3.21.1912  172-134-22.

in http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dhoskins/genersch/geklaca1.htm

which appears to be a listing of GRs in LDS films:  header states the
following: Notes on Canadian Crossings Soundex
===================================

*LDS film reels in the range 1472975- 1473200 contains Soundex
cardsextracted from offical US-Canadian Border Crossing Records. (See at:
www.familysearch.org <http://www.familysearch.org> /Categories/Library
Films   enter St Albans, Vermont for all BORDER entries.)The following is
an extract from those films of persons identifyableas being Germans from
Russia, and a few other nationalities.SURNAMES: plus more surnames
intermingled   GRAF GREB KILTHAU KRETZ NUSS QUINDT SCHANTZ SCHINDLER
SCHREINER SCHWEIGERT SINNER WEIMER WOLF ZEMMER ZINNERThe order is sorta by
Soundex code, but actually only to theextent of the leading alpha
character.*

*I've never searched this before, but I just Googled Schindel and Melville
and came up with a number of interesting hits.  Long shots mostly.... but
interesting.....*

Hope some of this helps.....

*Helen*