[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Untangling a Welke mystery.

Joyce Guasch jguasch at fastmail.net
Mon Jun 16 09:24:13 PDT 2014

Thanks for the public and private replies. I knew of the Polish-Russian War,
1918-1921. I needed a personal story that would give me an understanding of
how this war affected those near the Poland/Ukraine border. I've received
one so far which is extremely helpful.

To answer a few questions I was asked, I created this timeline:

-Document/notation for Baptisms have been found for only two of the
children.
-All information of her birth and all deaths occurring in Poland came from
Aunt Teofilia Welke's  Bible. She was the oldest, born 1894.
-Note Teofilia wrote: "Lived and died in Polen Vladof" (Wlodawa)
-Teofilia immigrated to Chicago in 1913.
-Their mother Euphrosine died 20 Aug 1915, Minsk (the place is per Aunt
Wanda Welke)on their way to Siberia.
-Martha Welke, youngest child, died 1917 age 5
-Hermann Welke, died 1918 age 9
-Father, Carl August Welke died 1919, age 54
-Adolf, died 1920, age 19
-Two passports were issued to remaining four siblings, two per passport. The
earliest date stamped on the passports was 8 Jan 1920, in Wlodawa
-Passports confirm residence Dubeczno. Aunt Wanda wrote a brief history up
until they arrived in Siberia. She says they were born and lived in
Dubeczno. (We have visited the former place of their home)
-One cousin, Teofilia's daughter says when they returned from Russia, the
grist mill was in bad shape and their father was unable to buy parts to get
it fixed. The family was very poor, food was scarce.
-Teofilia, with the help of the Red Cross sent for her siblings.
-Siblings arrived in June 1920.

In 1920 the ages of the four children waiting to come to the US: Ferdinand
24, Rudolf 18, Wanda 15, Wilhelm (my father) 9.
A comment my father made when telling of Adolf being taken from their home
is that he may have looked like the largest and oldest of the boys as he was
sitting in a chair/stool, that made him look taller than his older brothers.

There are other unanswered questions.

-One being the death of Martha in 1917. Perhaps they were still in Russia.
Karl remarried (according to Wanda's story), but did not return to Poland
with his new wife. But, Teofilia wrote "all lived and died in Poland."
-What took the lives of Martha, Karl, and Hermann? My father was also ill
and not expected to live, but he did.
-I hired a researcher to look research Red Cross documents. There were no
documents for this work they did in getting my father and siblings from
Poland to Oregon.

Thanks again for those of you who have replied. I want to leave more than a
list of dates and places for future generations. SGGEE members have given me
far more history and information that any Google search could have ever
done.

Joyce Welke Guasch