[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynia Marriage Records

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Thu Mar 27 13:58:38 PDT 2014

Betty,

I'm sure someone else will post specifically about Volhynian records,
but I thought I'd give a more general answer because others may wonder
about this as well. I have indexed thousands of Lublin parish marriage
records and I've also seen many from other Polish parishes. Records
compiled into a table will provide the names of the parents, but will
rarely indicate whether they are living. Full Napoleonic paragraph
records will usually indicate where the parents live or if one or both
are deceased. If the widowed mother has re-married, sometimes her new
surname will be given if she lives in the area. If the bride and/or
groom is widowed, the name of the deceased spouse and date of death is
provided. This is not always indicated on a table, though the status,
single or widowed, is always given. Marriage records usually provide the
birth village, or at least the name of the parish, for the bride and
groom, and, of course, the age.

Of course, some marriage information is only available on index tables
which include only the names and ages of the bride and groom, their
villages, and perhaps the names of two witnesses. Looking at the record,
not just at extracted indexes, usually does provide more information.

Sigrid Pohl Perry