[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] WIRT

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Mon May 5 07:35:16 PDT 2014

Ursula,

Thank you for reminding all of us that some of the words used in old
parish records do not have the same meanings as are found in a modern
dictionary. This can be frustrating for many people doing research. I
have found that the vocabulary lists available at www.familysearch.org
on the wiki site are very helpful, especially for Polish. SGGEE has
links to translation helps here:
https://www.sggee.org/research/translation_aids.html

Unfortunately, the German word list linked here only used Innkeeper for
Wirt. But as Ursula indicates, the word is used in the records in Poland
to indicate farmer or landowner. Sometimes "landwirt" is used correctly,
but abbreviations were quite popular.

Sigrid Pohl Perry