[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Suckow, Pommern

Mauricio Norenberg mauricio.norenberg at gmail.com
Mon May 26 05:20:16 PDT 2014

Hello

Something really interesting (and puzzling!) came to my research.

I was always wondering why I couldn't find any records of my ancestors in
Volhynia prior to their immigration to Brazil in 1908. (a gap between early
1890's and late 1900's)

Then I find my grandfather's brother emigration record who migrated to
Brazil in 1914 just before WW1 and get a surprise:

He was definitely living in Volhynia, but in 1914 he was residing in
Suckow, Pommern.
This is brand new information for me and could mean perhaps my family moved
to there before Brazil.

The record:

Namenskartei aus den "Bremer Schiffslisten", 1904-1914
(
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/398182?availability=Family%20History%20Library
)
Name: Gottfried Nörenberg
Gender: Male
Age: 45
Event Date: 11 Apr 1914
Ship Name: Eisenach
Shipping Company: FM
Residence Place: Suckow, Pommern, Rußland
Arrival Place: Rio De Janeiro, , Brasilien
Marital Status: Married
Occupation: Landw Tagelöhner
GS Film number: 1568852
Digital Folder Number: 4338889
Image Number: 04543

This opens a whole new research scenario for me but I have no idea where to
start, I would love to hear some ideas.

On Wikipedia, Suckow is a municipality in the Ludwigslust-Parchim district,
in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. Or am I confusing with some other
Russian place?

If this is the correct place, it's telling me a group o Volhynians went to
this place, but so far I can only find Kirchenbuch on the year range
1695-1870 and nothing more.

Did anyone else come across the same situation as mine?
Also, what exactly means Landw Tagelöhner and Ldw Tagel Angehöriger?

Many thanks

Mauricio