[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] DNA Patents

trottkg trottkg at telus.net
Tue Nov 4 23:28:52 PST 2014

I questioned someone at the SGGEE conference last August about whether it is a good idea to submit to DNA testing for genealogical reasons because there are patent issues (among other issues such as insurance issues) to which this person said, and I quote "we don't have DNA patent issues in the United States.  If there are patent issues they are a Canadian problem".  Well, here is an article from the CBC that jumps right into the problem because it is a problem and the problem is global. Might someone with legal, medical or experience in this area please comment?

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/health/u-s-gene-patents-patient-care-stymied-in-canada-hospital-claims-1.2820211

Thank you

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.