[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] How to import GEDCOM files to Legacy

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 21:48:37 PST 2014

Jeff,

If you are importing new data into Legacy, during the import process
Legacy will ask you to assign a source to the data being imported. I
strongly suggest that you always assign a source to any data that you
receive from others.   That way you will always be able to tell who
provided specific data by looking at the source ID for any given
record.   Giving a source ID to all imported records also allows you to
delete that data later if you determine that it is not as good as it
first appeared.   Be careful about deleting any records containing a
specific ID, however, because if you have merged any of the imported
records with your personal data, then deleting all records that contain
the source ID imported will also delete your personal data for those
merged records.

Once you import data into your file, you will have to go through the
merge process to make sure that you merge all duplicate records. Note
that if extended family sends you data, that there will ALWAYS be
duplicate records after the import.   during the merge process in
Legacy, you will be presented with all of the differences in the records
to be merged, and you will have to decide which data to keep, and which
to discard.   If you do not know which data is correct, then you will
have to add some notes or make some event entries to note the lack of
ability to merge.

Remember that the merge process is permanent, and it can be very
difficult to undo merged records, so be careful in what you do. AND
ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR PERSONAL FILE BEFORE YOU IMPORT ANY DATA,
AND ANOTHER BACKUP BEFORE YOU START THE MERGE.   I have been doing
merges almost continuously for more than a dozen years, and I still make
mistakes when merging.   It is only because I have backups of the
original file, and a copy of the data being imported that I can manage
to undo my mistakes.

When you finish the merge, make sure that you do a Search using Legacy's
Search button (the magnifying glass).  Look at the Miscellaneous tab in
the search criteria find the following: "Individuals with multiple
parents".   Sometimes you do not finish a merge completely when you
think you have, and sometimes you make an error that causes some persons
in your data to have two sets of parents.   If the parents are the same
and need to be merged further, than do a manual merge to eliminate the
duplicates.  If, on the other hand you discover in this search that you
have records where the parents are obviously different people, then you
have some un-merging to do.

Gary