[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] How to import GEDCOM files to Legacy

Earl Schultz Earl.Schultz at telusplanet.net
Sun Nov 23 14:09:45 PST 2014

One more thing about importing data.  If you are importing the data from a Legacy file then you will also be asked to merge locations that may have slight difference especially if the giver of the data is not overly careful to record locations correctly or uses another method.  If importing from a GEDCOM, I think you will end up with some locations being in your master list twice because of the differences.  You'll eventually have to merge those.

I would start by importing the Gedcom to a Legacy file and then look over the data carefully and either select only what you want or fix anything that may need fixing before merging it with your data.

Re the merging process that Gary mentioned, yesterday I imported a file of 195 people that I selected from someone else's Legacy file.  It resulted in 2781 potential "duplicates" (some obviously existed before the import) and I find I can manage only to review about 1000 "duplicates" a day so this is about 3 days work on-and-off to complete the merge.  Make sure that if the two that you are comparing are definitely not duplicates that you mark them as such or they will keep coming up again in future merges.  For example two people with different death dates or someone who died as a child compared to someone who had a spouse.

Importing and merging is an important function to learn for the very reason you want to do it, Jeff.  I suggest you start small to learn the process.

Earl

Message: 5